is a female-founded startup that is all about leveling the playing field. We create sports content, experiences and community that are by women and for all sports fans, mainly through our free, localized newsletter that gives you “the gist” of what’s going on in the sports world in an authentic, fun and female voice. Our vision is to become the go-to source for sports for underserved fans.
Want to join our team? We hope so. Here’s more on the regional content contributor role:
Role: Part-time (~4-6 hours/week), 3-month contract, with extension to extend.
- Regular hours are Sunday, Tuesday and Thursday evenings (in ET)
Reports into: Head of Content (HOC)
Location: Remote, North America (US preferred)
Start date: September
What you’ll be doing
- Editing and fact-checking city specific sections for the Monday, Wednesday & Friday edition of The GIST’s soon-to-be 4x-weekly newsletter in accordance with The GIST’s editorial standards
- Regions will include editing for up to five cities
- When required, editing and fact-checking city-specific sections for The GIST’s special edition newsletters
- Working closely with The GIST’s HOC, your regional writer, and North American newsletter team
- Contributing ideas to continually improving The GIST’s written content
- Contributing to the constant upgrade and improvement of our editorial guidelines
- Have the opportunity to edit additional content including branded content, longer-form articles, guides, deep dives and interviews
- Have the opportunity to grow into a bigger role with The GIST
- Other duties as required
What you’ll need
- Significant editing experience of at least two years is preferred
- Experience editing in a newsroom setting is an asset
- Experience editing sports journalism is an asset
- Undergraduate degree in Journalism, Editing, English, or a similar field
- Expert in writing with the American Style Guide
- A flexible Sunday, Tuesday and Thursday night (in ET) schedule, because sports
We’re looking for someone who...:
- Has strong editing, spelling and grammar skills.
- Must have the ability to rewrite content/make suggestions
- Has experience working toward a deadline, and can work quickly, efficiently and accurately
- Is a strong communicator to work well with your newsletter team
- Has strong journalistic integrity including fact-checking
- Has a collaborative and sports-loving spirit
- Values hard-work and teamwork
- A quick and resourceful learner who can thrive in a fast-paced, evolving startup setting and is able to grow with the company
- Has a passion for leveling the playing field in the sports industry
What we offer
- The opportunity to be part of a female-founded, hard-working, growing and fun team that is looking to level the playing field in the sports industry
- An opportunity to make The GIST’s key product, our newsletter, better and more polished
- An opportunity to make edits to a broad spectrum of sports and cities
- An opportunity to grow as an editor and into a larger role with The GIST
- Competitive wage
- Flexible vacation
Are you picking up what we’re putting down? We hope so. So, what’s next?
- Why do you want to work for The GIST?
- What are the three most important things to look for while editing/fact checking content?
- In reading our newsletters, are there any bigger picture edits that you would have suggested had you been the editor? Or have you noticed anything that we consistently do that you would do differently?
Candidates with the most applicable answers and resumes based on the qualifications above will be asked to complete an editing “test” the week of August 23rd. From there, select candidates will be asked to do a remote interview on either August 26th, 27th or 31st. Keep your calendars open. Start date is ASAP.