Ready to help level the playing field? The GIST is looking for a knowledgable, passionate and witty sports fan to join our content team. If you’re interested in joining a collaborative team environment and flexing your sports writing muscles, we want to hear from you.
In this role you’ll have a significant impact on The GIST’s newsletter and podcast product, ideating, pitching and writing national and local sports news content for our newsletter, and creating scripts for our twice-weekly podcast.
is a women-founded startup that creates sports content, experiences and community that are by women and for all sports fans through our free, localized 4x-weekly newsletter, 3x-weekly sports biz newsletter, daily social media and twice-weekly podcast. The GIST will be expanding into another content vertical this summer.
Our vision is to become the go-to source for sports for underserved fans.
Since launching across North America in September 2019, our community has grown to over 700,000 GISTers, we have worked with brands like the NBA, FanDuel and Under Armour, and our co-founding team was named to .
Want to join our team? We hope so. Here’s more on the role:
Role: Full-time, three-month contract, with intention to extend.
- Hours are mostly after 12 p.m. ET, with evening work on Sunday, Tuesday and Thursdays, because, sports
Reports into: Head of content (HOC)
Location: Remote, U.S.-based
Start date: ASAP
- Consistently stay informed on the latest in sports news and pop culture at large to create top-notch newsletter and podcast content that readers and listeners love
- Continually listen to community feedback to improve content and pitch new ideas of how we can surprise and delight our audience, retain our audience and grow our community
What you’ll be doing
- Writing U.S.-based and city specific sections for the Monday, Wednesday & Friday edition of The GIST’s 4x-weekly newsletter in accordance with The GIST’s editorial standards and brand voice
- Region will include up to three cities
- Selecting which national and city-specific sports stories will be featured in the newsletter including how and where
- Writing and/or co-writing The GIST’s Special Editions as well as Sunday Scrolls
- Assisting with operations and editing when assigned
- Working closely with The GIST’s HOC, developmental editor, fellow regional writers and editors, and national newsletter team
- Assisting in writing/creating branded content when assigned
- Contribute to the evolution of The GIST’s voice, constantly updating The GIST’s style guide
- Work closely with fellow producer, entire content team and hosts to determine podcast topics
- Thoroughly research topics in order to create podcast notes/script
- Suggest new ideas to the podcast team to keep up with trends and keep our audience engaged
- Contributing creative ideas to continually improving The GIST
- Contribute ideas and feedback to The GIST’s branded content and social media teams
- Opportunity to write longer-form articles, guides, deep dives and interviews
What you’ll need
- Writing/communications experience of at least two years is preferred
- Experience writing newsletters/short form content is an asset
- Experience in producing podcasts is an asset
- Experience writing in a brand voice is an asset
- Undergraduate degree
- Degree in Journalism, Editing, English, Sports Media or a similar field is considered an asset
- Ability to work Sunday, Tuesday and Thursday night (in ET) schedule, because sports
- Proficiency in writing with the American Style Guide
- Exceptional writing, spelling and grammar skills
- A strong understanding of and passion/intuition for sports
- You must be able to contextualize, distill and curate sports content
We’re looking for someone who...:
- Is calm as a cucumber under pressure and is able to react quickly to breaking news
- Is an avid sports fan who’s able to sift through the the news and pick and provide context on the most important stories
- Is witty, with a great sense of humor
- Has strong journalistic integrity including fact-checking
- Has experience working toward a deadline, and can work quickly and efficiently
- Has a collaborative and sports-loving spirit
- Must value hard-work and teamwork
- Passionate about leveling the playing field in the sports industry
- A quick and resourceful learner who can thrive in a fast-paced, evolving startup setting and is able to grow with the company
What we offer
- The opportunity to be part of a women-founded and operated, hard-working, growing and fun team that is leveling the playing field in the sports industry
- An opportunity to write about and cover a broad spectrum of sports and cities
- Competitive compensation and benefits package
- Flexible location
Are you picking up what we’re putting down? We hope so. So, what’s next?
Write us a newsletter. You read that right, you’ll be writing a newsletter to simulate what it would be like if you were our regional writer. We want to see what your city-specific GIST newsletter would be like without our influence.
Your newsletter must include:
- 3 sections: 2 national, 1 city-specific (city of your choice)
- Each section should be no more than 300 words (the shorter the better)
- The GIST Pick’s
Choose the day you send us a newsletter. Please send to us anytime between 6-10 a.m. ET on Thursday, June 23rd, Friday June 24th, Monday, June 27th, Tuesday June 28th or Wednesday, June 29th.
Your newsletter should cover the recent events in sports, as well as preview what’s to come. It’s highly suggested you write the newsletter the night before, and schedule your email for the next morning.
Send the newsletter to with the subject line of: The GIST - Sports News Newsletter and Podcast Producer 2022 - Your Name.
After that, we’ll be requesting resumes from candidates who wrote our fave newsletters. Candidates with the best newsletters and most applicable resumes based on the qualifications above will be asked to do a remote interview. Start date is ASAP.
Here are some newsletter-writing tips:
- (and select a city!) to see what our newsletter is like.
- Use a recent newsletter as a guideline for you. We want to see if you can write in The GIST’s brand voice.
- Choose the city you want to write for, but remember the city news should only be one section. The rest of the newsletter should be U.S.-based news that everyone in the country would care about.
- The newsletter should not be longer than 1,200 words total.
The GIST is strongly committed to diversity and especially welcomes applications from racialized persons/persons of colour, women, Indigenous/Aboriginal People of North America, persons with disabilities, LGBTQ2S+ persons, and others who may contribute to the further diversification of ideas.
The GIST strives to make our entire hiring process as accessible as possible and provide accommodations as required for applicants with disabilities. For any recruitment related accommodation needs and/or requests please contact us via e-mail.