The GIST: Managing Editor
Location: Remote, must be based in North America
Ready to make a major impact in leveling the playing field in sports? The GIST is looking for a managing editor.
In this role you will propose and execute on content strategies, lead and support content contributors, editors and designers, monitor content results and edit digital content (newsletter, podcast, socials) to ensure they follow The GIST’s signature tone, voice and style.
You will ultimately be responsible for the day-to-day operations of The GIST’s current and future verticals (sports, sports business, college sports).
You will have a major impact on all areas of the business — strong writing/editing skills, leadership skills, time management skills, micro and macro sports knowledge/intuition, critical thinking and decision-making abilities are a must.
is a women-founded startup that creates sports content, experiences and community that are by women and for all sports fans, mainly through our free, localized 4x-weekly newsletter, daily social media and twice-weekly podcast. The GIST will be expanding into two new content verticals in 2022.
Our vision is to become the go-to source for sports for underserved fans.
Since launching across North America in September 2019, our community has grown to over 500,000 GISTers, we have worked with brands like the NBA, FanDuel and Under Armour, and our co-founding team was named to .
Want to join our team? We hope so. Here’s more on the managing editor role:
Role: Full-time, three-month contract with the intention to extend into a full-time employee.
- Hours will include some evenings and weekends. That’s
Location: Remote. Must be based in North America.
- Working closely with The GIST’s content, growth and partnerships teams to inform and execute The GIST’s content strategy, focusing on the sports business and college verticals
- Training and leading a team of writers/editors/producers to create compelling and engaging newsletter, social media and audio-based content
- Reviewing/editing/approving newsletter content to ensure published content is of the highest quality
- Strategizing and supporting growth and branded content
- Completing managing edits and running operations of The GIST’s 3x-weekly sports business newsletter to The GIST’s editorial standards and ensuring content is published in The GIST’s brand voice
- Working closely with content contributors to source and plan content
- Completing managing edits and giving final approval on content
- Working with the editor, fact-checker and newsletter operations associate
- Hiring, coaching and leading content teams
- Coordinating/organizing publish dates, events and meetings
- Consistently iterating and innovating the product to better serve our audience (our GISTers) and our brand partners
- Cultivating connections/relationships with key stakeholders in the industry
- Supporting content, SEO strategy and operations of The GIST’s website
- Future college vertical will be within your purview and you will also occasionally assist with the existing sports news vertical
- Working closely with our brand partnerships teams on proposals, account management and branded content strategy
- Managing edit advertorial team’s branded content
- Working closely with The GIST’s growth team to support and strategize marketing plan
- Assist with managing content for social media advertising, PR communications, user lifecycle emails, and more.
Recording and insights
- Working closely with the operations and growth team to determine what data is helpful to writers/editors
- Analyzing data to gain insights on newsletter effectiveness
- Suggest/make changes in content/strategy based on findings
- Leveraging data, audience feedback and your creativity to continually improve The GIST newsletter
- Working with content and social media team on sports business social strategy
- Assisting in the launch of sports business social media channels
- Ensuring daily social media content across select channels meets vertical goals
- Interacting with GISTers across social and leveraging social feedback to influence other content channels
- Work closely with The GIST’s podcast/events/audio team to drive and execute strategy on sports business audio/webinar/events
- Managing edit and occasionally produce audio/events content
- Proven experience as a managing editor or equivalent role
- Writing/communications experience of 4+ years
- Experience working with a brand voice is an asset
- Newsletter experience is an asset
- Undergraduate degree
- Degree in journalism, English, business (with writing-based electives/minors), sports media or a similar field
- A flexible schedule, because sports
- Proficiency in writing with the AP Stylebook
- Exceptional writing, spelling and grammar skills and editorial judgment
- Strong journalistic integrity
- A strong understanding of and passion/intuition for sports, business and their intersection
- Excellent organizational and leadership skills
- You are passionate and knowledgeable about sports.
- You’re on the pulse of sports news, including sports business news.
- You have the ability to sift through stories to determine the most important news of the day.
- You have incredible attention to detail — you understand the big picture, but you sweat the small stuff. The love is in the details.
- You have outstanding operational and communication skills.
- You are obsessed with understanding your audience, and how to better serve them.
- You have a thorough understanding of the nuances of digital content.
- You’re witty, with a great sense of humor.
- You value teamwork and are collaborative and open-minded, while also being an effective independent worker.
- You’re a quick and resourceful learner who can thrive in a fast-paced, evolving startup environment.
- You have a can-do, solutions-oriented attitude.
- You are passionate about leveling the playing field in the sports industry.
What we offer:
- The opportunity to be part of a women-founded and run, hard-working, growing and fun team that is changing the sports industry
- Competitive compensation package and vacation
- Flexible hours
Picking up what we’re putting down? Here’s what’s next:
- Your one-page resume
- In the body of the email, in three sentences or less, let us know:
- What unique experience you have that makes you the best candidate for this role.
- What are the three key things/processes to consider/go through before determining what content to create/story to write about?
- Share an effective approach you use to prepare, rewrite and edit copy to improve the readability of content.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Successful candidates will be made aware of the next steps.