is a female-founded startup that is all about connecting and empowering underserved sports fans through sport. We create sports content, experiences and community that are by women and for all types of sports fans, mainly through our free, localized twice-weekly newsletter that gives you “the gist” of what’s going on in the sports world in an authentic, fun and female voice. Our vision is to become the go-to source for sports for underserved fans.
Since launching in July 2018, we’ve grown our community to over 110,000 GISTers across North America, have worked with brands like DAZN, lululemon and various professional teams from the NHL and NBA, and our founding team has been named to .
As the GIST continues to grow across North America, we’re hiring a Graphics & Video Intern to join our small but mighty team. If you’re a motivated creative who’s passionate about creating social images and editing videos, then this is the job for you.
Reporting to The GIST’s Head of Content and Social Media Manager, this position will help to develop our paid social media strategy, create paid social ads, assist with newsletter/website graphics and edit IGTV, IG stories and YouTube video content.
Note: This is a remote, unpaid, fall (September-December) internship/co-op role. This can be a part-time or full-time role, depending on your schedule and whether you’re eligible for course credit. If your school has a co-op program or you’re eligible for course credit, we are happy to work with them to ensure we meet the requirements.
What you’ll be doing:
Paid social strategy & paid content creation
- Working closely with The GIST’s growth and content team to contribute and execute The GIST’s paid social media strategy
- Staying up-to-date on what’s currently working in the social ad space, recommending creative, and executing on paid social ads
- Working with The GIST’s growth team to develop the paid content calendar on a monthly basis
- Creating fun, provoking, engaging content that will influence people to sign-up to our newsletter and/or follow us on social media
- Quickly solicit feedback and implement edits
- Researching new trends and applications of social media advertising creative to enhance The GIST’s paid ads
- Opportunity to work on graphics/creative on other channels
- Working closely with The GIST’s Social Media Manager to edit video content for IG Lives, IG Story segments () and YouTube
- Create graphics for segments that incorporate music, highlights, gifs, etc.
- Successfully meet deadlines
- Tracking user feedback to stay on top of changes/ideas our GISTers are interested in and share/implement feedback accordingly
- Following what other accounts are doing from a graphics/video perspective and to gain ideas to enhance The GIST’s content
We’re looking for someone who is...
- A creative with an amazing eye. You love brainstorming.
- An advocate for their audience. You understand The GIST’s current and potential audience, and you know the creative that will speak to them.
- An excellent communicator. You’ll be working with a lot of different members on our team
- Multi-talented, quick learner, and willing to learn.
- Proficient with Adobe products (Photoshop, Premiere, and After Effects is considered an asset).
- A proactive self-starter and contributing team player. You can work on a team, but you’re also totally comfortable working independently.
- Passionate about The GIST’s brand and content.
What you’ll need
- Enrolled as a student or recently graduated from an accredited college/university program in the semester prior to the internship
- Current undergrad or program in graphic design, film, media or equivalent is considered an asset
- Experience working in and knowledge of the paid social media market is considered an asset
- Ability to work flexible hours — a lot of the work you’ll be doing will be on an as-needed basis
What we offer:
- Opportunity to learn and grow in a fast-growing, female-founded, sports media startup
- Opportunity grow into a larger role with The GIST
- Ability to work closely alongside the social team
- Opportunity to make a positive social impact on the sports media industry
- Flexible hours
- Course credit if eligible
Are you picking up what we’re putting down? We hope so. So, what’s next?
This is the fun part:
- Send us your resume.
- In the body of the email, let us know:
> Why you’re a great fit for this job
> One thing that we could do better on our socials
- Create a Facebook ad image that you think would work for The GIST.
> Dimensions 1080 x 1080
> Give a brief description on why you think it would attract subscribers/followers
- Send us a video optimized for socials that you’ve edited recently (attached or linked).
Send your resume, answers to our questions, and your creative to with the subject line “Fall Graphics and Video Intern - Your Name” by 11:59pm ET on Friday, August 14th. Successful applicants will be made aware of the next steps.
More about The GIST
We started The GIST because as both casual and avid female fans, we often felt like we were left out of the sports conversation and community. The current sports media outlets made us feel like sports were only for an avid male sports fan. We wanted to change that because we think sports are, and should be, for everyone.
This problem stems from a major lack of diversity in the sports industry — only 14% of sports journalists are females, only 4% of sports media coverage is on female athletes, female athletes receive only 0.4% of endorsement money and less than 5% of c-suite executives in sport are women. So it’s really no wonder why sometimes sports can feel like a guys’ thing. The GIST exists to change these stats.
That’s #thegist of it. We can’t wait to read your resumes.