The GIST is a women-founded startup that is all about leveling the playing field. We create sports content, experiences and community that are by women and for all sports fans, mainly through our free, localized newsletter that gives you “the gist” of what’s going on in the sports world in an authentic, fun and female voice. Our vision is to become the go-to source for sports for underserved fans.
Since launching in July 2019, we’ve grown our community to over 700,000 GISTers across North America, have worked with brands like FanDuel, adidas, and the NBA and were named to Forbes 30 Under 30 2020.
Want to join our team? We hope so. Here’s more on the freelance content creator (TikTok) role:
Role: Freelance content creator, 2-4 videos per week
- Deadlines will vary throughout the week as needed, but you can work within your own schedule to create the content
Reports into: Head of Content (HOC), Social Media Producers
Location: Remote, US/CA
Start date: ASAP
What you’ll be doing
- Creating TikTok-style videos for The GIST’s social media channels, including TikTok, Instagram, Twitter, as well as paid promotions, in accordance with The GIST’s standards and brand voice
- You will be creating 2-4 videos per week
- When required, creating campaign-specific, branded content
- Working closely with The GIST’s HOC, Social Media Producers
- Working closely with growth and partnerships teams when required
- Contributing creative ideas to continually improve The GIST
- Opportunity to contribute to other GIST content channels
- Opportunity to grow into a bigger role with The GIST
What you’ll need
- A confident, on-camera presence!
- Video creation/editing experience of at least two years
- Experience editing/creating content within TikTok’s app is a must
- Experience with the Adobe Suite is an asset
- Experience with Canva is an asset
- A flexible schedule, because...sports
- A strong understanding of and passion/intuition for sports
We’re looking for someone we:
- Is calm as a cucumber under pressure and is able to react quickly to breaking news and fast-moving trends online
- Is an avid sports fan who’s able to sift through the news and pick and provide context on the most important stories and bring them to life
- Is witty, with a great sense of humor
- Has strong journalistic integrity including fact-checking
- Has experience working toward a deadline, and can work quickly and efficiently
- Has a collaborative and sports-loving spirit
- Must value hard work and teamwork
- Passionate about leveling the playing field in the sports industry
- A quick and resourceful learner who can thrive in a fast-paced, evolving startup setting and is able to grow with the company
What we offer
- The opportunity to be part of a women-founded and operated, hard-working, growing and fun team that is looking to level the playing field in the sports industry
- An opportunity to create content and cover a broad spectrum of sports and cities
- An opportunity for your content to be shared across The GIST’s channels
- An opportunity to grow into a larger role with The GIST
- Competitive wage paid on a per video basis
Are you picking up what we’re putting down? We hope so. So, what’s next?
To get a sense of you and your video editing skills, we have two pieces of homework we’d love for you to submit.
- Pick a current trend happening on TikTok, and create a video that relates the trend to current events/issues in men’s/women’s sports, such as , or . The video should be 15s or less.
- Create an explainer-style video about a sports topic of your choice, about 30s-2 minutes in length, such as or . The video does not need to be filmed in the same way, but rather contain a similar type of information.
Send us your homework as a short, four-sentence, GISTy answer to why you want to work with The GIST to . Applicants will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
Please use the subject line “YOUR NAME - Freelance Content Creator (TikTok)” when sending.
Candidates with the most applicable homework and answers based on the qualifications will be made aware of the next steps. From there, select candidates will be interviewed in July. Start date is ASAP.
The GIST is strongly committed to diversity and especially welcomes applications from racialized persons/persons of color, women, Indigenous/Aboriginal People of North America, persons with disabilities, LGBTQ2S+ persons, and others who may contribute to the further diversification of ideas.
The GIST strives to make our entire hiring process as accessible as possible and provide accommodations as required for applicants with disabilities. For any recruitment-related accommodation needs and/or requests please contact us via e-mail.