is a female-founded startup that is all about leveling the playing field. We create sports content, experiences and community that are by women and for all sports fans, mainly through our free, localized newsletter that gives you “the gist” of what’s going on in the sports world in an authentic, fun and female voice. Our vision is to become the go-to source for sports for underserved fans.
Want to join our team? We hope so. Here’s more on the ads copywriter role:
Role: Part-time (~8-15 hours/week), 3-month contract, with the intention to extend.
- Hours change daily/weekly based on need
- Reports into: Head of Content (HOC)
- Location: Remote
- Start date: ASAP
What you’ll be doing:
- Writing compelling, succinct newsletter, podcast and social ad features in The GIST’s signature voice
- Familiarizing yourself with brands, product, target market, value prop and competitors
- Becoming an expert on The GIST’s audience
- Using our brand guidelines to take on The GIST’s voice and personality when writing ad features
- Working efficiently to meet ad feature deadlines
- Working closely with and acting on feedback from The GIST’s brand partners
- Iterating on ad copy based on engagement results
- Working closely with and acting on feedback from The GIST’s advertorial team, social team and account manager
- Communicating with The GIST’s partnerships team and being flexible as engagements and messaging evolve
- Contributing ideas to continually improve The GIST’s product offering to brands
- Have the opportunity to grow into a larger role with The GIST
- Other responsibilities as they arise
What you’ll need:
- 2+ years of copywriting experience
- Bonus if copywriting experience is in newsletter, podcast or social advertising
- Diploma or undergraduate degree in journalism, copywriting, english, communications, media, psychology, PR, or equivalent field
- Experience in writing in a brand voice
- Strong writing, spelling and grammar skills
- Strong journalistic integrity
- Proficient with Google Suite
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Commercial awareness
Who you are:
- Up-to-speed on the latest copywriting techniques
- A GISTer first mindset, who seeks to create compelling copy that matters to them
- Your friends would say you’re funny, or even better, witty
- Creative and imaginative
- Motivated independent worker with a positive can-do attitude
- You have excellent time management skills and have the energy and stamina to always meet your deadlines
- Ability to work flexible hours
- Multi-tasker who thrives in taking on multiple projects at once
- Customer-service oriented, who seeks to exceed expectations
- Exceptionally detail-oriented
- Collaborative and sports-loving spirit
- A quick and resourceful learner who can thrive in a fast-paced, evolving startup setting and is able to grow with the company
What we offer:
- The opportunity to be part of a growing female-founded, hard-working and fun team that is working to level the playing field in the sports industry
- An opportunity to grow into a larger role with The GIST
- Competitive wage
- Flexible hours and vacation
Are you picking up what we’re putting down? We hope so. So, what’s next?
- Why will you be an asset to The GIST?
- What are the three most important things to consider when writing newsletter ad features?
- In reading our newsletters, are there any bigger picture changes to our sponsored content that you’d suggest?
Candidates with the most applicable answers and resumes based on the qualifications above will be asked to complete an ad copywriting “test” the week of October 11th. From there, select candidates will be asked to do a remote interview the week of October 18th. Start date is ASAP.