Ready to help level the playing field? The GIST is looking for a Account Executive who will help land and grow partnerships with brands like Nike, FanDuel and the NBA to our audience of underserved and influential fans. We need someone who will bring excitement and drive growth with new and existing partners at a pivotal time in the company’s journey.
If you are interested in joining a fast-paced, collaborative team environment and contributing directly to our top line, we want to hear from you!
is a women-founded startup that creates sports content, experiences and community that are by women and for all sports fans through our free, localized 4x-weekly newsletter, 3x-weekly sports biz newsletter, daily social media and twice-weekly podcast. The GIST will be expanding into another content verticals this summer.
Our vision is to become the go-to source for sports for underserved fans.
Since launching across North America in September 2019, our community has grown to over 700,000 GISTers, we have worked with brands like the NBA, FanDuel and Under Armour, and our co-founding team was named to .
Want to join our team? We hope so. Here’s more on the Account Executive role:
Role: Full-time, three-month contract with the intention to extend into full-time employee.
Reports into: Co-founder, Head of Revenue
Location: Remote. Must be based in the U.S.
Key Objective: Signing new business and renewal revenue.
Represent The GIST brand to the marketplace by managing your own deals end to end through:
- Prospecting, cultivating and developing relationships with high-level decision makers at brands and agencies (including media, digital, experiential, social, creative and PR agencies).
- Prospecting and top of funnel activity including meeting or surpassing weekly and monthly outbound targets.
- Developing customized proposals outlining big content ideas as well as detailed scope, deliverables, pricing for clients based on their objectives.
- Working alongside the broader sales, integrated marketing and content teams to develop unique campaigns.
- Pitching, negotiating and closing brand partnership engagements and customized programs to clients and agency partners.
- Post-sale, supporting and working closely with account manager(s), content and operations teams on the successful execution of the engagement.
- Identifying influences and trends in the marketplace to inform and create innovative new business offerings and opportunities.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- 2-4 years of relevant experience in media sales and/or media planning with a proven track record of meeting or exceeding sales goals.
- Knowledge, experience and passion for digital media, brand marketing and strategic partnerships.
- Knowledge and experience in newsletter, social and podcast sales is considered an asset.
- Knowledge and experience developing integrated brand programs is considered an asset.
- Strong relationship building and leadership skills.
- Strong personal relationships with key brand and agency stakeholders is considered an asset.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Canva/PowerPoint and Excel skills are required.
- Ability to multi-task and juggle multiple projects at once in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- You’re results-oriented and have the desire and drive to exceed targets.
- You’re a strong decision-maker. You see the big picture and take a minute to step back and think.
- You show excellent judgment in dealing with clients and colleagues.
- You’re self-motivated. You are comfortable working with a lot of autonomy. You love figuring things out for yourself and iterating on your solutions.
- You’re an optimistic relationship builder. You love speaking with people in person, on the phone, over email etc. You are confident and humble.
- You always maintain the highest level of professionalism. You have client-facing experience.
- You work well under pressure and can meet tight deadlines.
- You’re a genuine, empathetic, and kind team player and cross-functional collaborator.
- You’re relentlessly resourceful and enjoy rolling up your sleeves and solving problems.
- You have a great attitude and are passionate about leveling the playing field.
What we offer:
- The opportunity to be part of a women-founded and run, hard-working, growing and fun team that is changing the sports industry
- Competitive compensation package and vacation
- An opportunity to grow with The GIST
- Flexible location
Picking up what we’re putting down? Here’s what’s next:
- Your one-page resume
- In the body of the email, answers to the following questions:
- Why you are the best fit for the Account Executive role.
- Three companies you think should partner with The GIST.
- Scenario question: You have the email address for the CMO of your favorite brand. You have never met before. Write a short email pitch to the CMO explaining what The GIST is and how The GIST can help their brand. Your objective with this email is to secure a meeting.
Applications are being accepted on a rolling basis until the position has been filled. Successful candidates will be made aware of the next steps.
The GIST is strongly committed to diversity and especially welcomes applications from racialized persons/persons of color, women, Indigenous/Aboriginal People of North America, persons with disabilities, LGBTQ2S+ persons, and others who may contribute to the further diversification of ideas.
The GIST strives to make our entire hiring process as accessible as possible and provide accommodations as required for applicants with disabilities. For any recruitment related accommodation needs and/or requests please contact us via e-mail.